Monday, May 10, 2010

A post which is really a procrastination tool

I have stuff to read and a moot to write, so this is the perfect time to post something. I haven't decided what yet, so bear with me.

While I'm thinking about it, everyone should head over to Dinosaurs and Dandelions and read it 'cause it's awesome (and also 'cause they very nicely linked to me the other day. Which may be why some of you are reading this. Hmmm. Chicken-and-egg problem. Aaaaaanyway) and includes better top ten lists than the Huff Post and Time put together. Also handy recipes for things like fancy grilled bread and wonderful asian fusion dishes.

Don't head over there now though, I haven't decided what to talk about yet.

Another thing that's been on my mind is France and the Burqa. It's a problem for me, because I'm torn. Half of me instinctively screams at the idea of women being forced to cover themselves up to suit some extremist nonsense. The other half of me thinks that it should be everyone's choice what they believe in and it definitely should be everyone's choice what they wear. What's next? A ban on wearing anything religious in public whatsoever? Is France going to take a leaf out of Saudi Arabia's book and have anti-religious police roaming the streets with tasers and semi-automatics? Will I get shot for wearing a 'Mary is my homegirl' t-shirt, even if it is only ironically?

It's a pickle. Of course there is the fact that probably no one should give a crap about what I think, 'cause I'm a middle class, white atheist who lives in a western country and studies politics. I don't have to or want to wear a burqa. I suppose the issue is, is the reason why we never hear from the women wearing the burqas because we're not looking hard enough or because the don't get a chance to have a say?

Hmm, what else to natter on about before I figure out what to write.

The UK. It's nuts, they still don't have a government. For laughs, head over to Malcolm Tucker's election briefing cause Malcolm is a funny guy and damn it, I want him running my country.

Okay I have no idea what to talk about. OH WAIT.

I just talked about stuff. What d'ya know.

No comments:

Post a Comment