Saturday, June 4, 2011

A list of some female writers I love

In response to this misogynistic nonsense, and in no particular order (plus these are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head).


  • P.D. James
  • Agatha Christie
  • Alice Hoffman
  • Diana Wynne-Jones
  • Margaret Atwood
  • A.S. Byatt
  • Jane Austen
  • J.K. Rowling
  • Paulina Simons 
  • Virginia Woolf
  • Harper Lee
  • Did I mention Margaret Atwood?
  • Hilary Mantel
  • Joyce Carol Oates
  • Patti Smith
  • Oh and, I'm sorry, I think I may have forgotten Margaret Atwood. 

And you know what worries me, after having re-read my list? I'm pretty sure they're all white.

Caitlin fails.

Note to self: read some female authors who aren't white. Or who aren't Margaret Atwood.

2 comments:

  1. Based on these, I think you'd really like Octavia E. Butler (try Kindred and Fledgling), Arundhati Roy, and possibly Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkich (actually she has nothing in common with this list it's just that she wrote one of my favourite books from last year). (These are all women of colour, btw, this isn't just a random drive-by rec.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks heaps! I'll add them to my list :)

    ReplyDelete