Wednesday, June 29, 2011

It Has Begun

That's right, my journey through The Most Epic Booklist Which Is Perpetually Added To (TMEBWIPAT*) has begun.

I decided to begin with probably the most light-hearted book on my list, Bossypants by Tina Fey.

I'm about halfway through and I am thoroughly enjoying myself. I don't usually laugh out loud** while reading books, even funny ones. I don't know, I just usually smile, or inwardly laugh hysterically while retaining my normal internet-reading expression.*** But I have spent most of the time spent reading this book laughing like a person who is really very amused. You may be able to tell that some of Tina's writing style has rubbed off on me. Or at least I like to think so.

She somehow manages to make everything funny, even what I imagine would be a truly hideous experience (fainting after being hit hard in the cervix by a speculum at your first pap smear for example)**** into a charming and funny anecdote, the type of story that you would tell at an afternoon cocktail party.

So I would highly recommend Bossypants to everyone, but especially 30 Rock/Fey fans, because this book is like reading the memoir of a slightly more well-adjusted Liz Lemon, without the crippling insecurity.

Also her dad sounds like a BAMF.

----------------------------------------------------

*Don't worry I won't refer to it as this. Much
**I said laugh out loud, lol.
***Which is this by the way.
**** OUCH, basically. 

1 comment:

  1. I love humorous fantasy - I'd like to have seen Terry Practchett, Harry Harrison, Robert Rankin and Grant Naylor on the list. Apart from that... great list!

    essayswriters.org/paper-writing

    ReplyDelete